Warhammer 40k Combat Patrol Tournament Saturday April 7th. Stop in to pre-register today!

40K Friends League

Discuss Rumors, Homebrew Rules or anything else Games Workshop/ Forgeworld related
Dizzlebomb
Sergeant

40K Friends League

Postby Dizzlebomb » October 23rd, 2017, 9:44 am

Hey crew,

I'm gonna throw this idea out there and see if it sticks. I've been trying to think of a way accomplish a few things:

1. Play more games
2. Try out new armies that I'm dabbling with
3. Play new/different people, get a chance to play against some new army styles.
4. Schedule games so I know when to arrive at the shop and how much points to bring
5. Track/scorekeep games in a fun and casual manner, but with some small significance (at least for bragging rights or whatever).

Would anyone be interested in trying to get an ongoing... casual'ish points based league going? Here is what I'm thinking about the Tyton 40k Friends League (this formula is not game specific in any way, it can exist for any game).

Each 'season' is in essence the standard calendar year, this can start whenever, and it simply persists with general ground rules for accruing points. There is no entry fee, and no prize other than having played plenty of games, met plenty of new people, and had plenty of fun along the way to each season end. Ya know what? Screw it, I'll buy the winner a 50 dollar Tyton gift card at each year's end if this shit takes off because I want something like this to happen.

The technical requirements for administering this league are quite simple, a separate forum board here and a google spreadsheet with a specific setup and a couple statistician people to log entries. A google calendar that can be shared and edited by all league members may also prove helpful for listing availability and letting people see what good time overlaps people have.

Another great thing is that rules for accruing points can be altered as we see fit along the way without concern because it is simply cumulative for the year and everyone week to week.

Rules:
- Each week runs Sunday through Saturday, you attempt to schedule and play 1 (just 1) league game per week. Simply by playing and completing a game, you earn 3 points.
- If you win, you earn 1 additional point.
- If you table your opponent, you earn 1 additional point on top of that.
- If you play against an opponent that you haven't played in your previous 2 league games, you earn an additional point. (only counts if you've already logged 2 previous games)
- If your army is considered painted to a basic tabletop standard, you earn 1 additional point.
- If you cancel on your opponent within 24 hours of scheduled game time, you lose 3 points.
- On that note, if you were canceled on by your asshole opponent within 24 hours of scheduled game time, you earn 2 consolation points!

Each week would rotate through a different mission so anyone who can get a game scheduled and played during that week will all be playing the same mission... this will also allow for more community building and cross chatter about the weeks' events that have transpired.

This league is not meant to be heavily competitive and there are no pre-scheduled games, we are all in charge of getting our games scheduled. Recommended point values anywhere between 1000 and 2000 points to be determined and planned for between both players scheduling the game.

Open to suggestions and input, or if you think there are better ways this could be done or better ways to earn points let me know. I would probably need an additional statistician to log entries to the system as well.

Rosario
Neophyte

Re: 40K Friends League

Postby Rosario » October 23rd, 2017, 10:26 pm

I think having a google calendar is key. It will allow us to input when we are free to play a game even if it is relatively spur of the moment. Someone who just takes a peak at the calendar will see who is available during that week without worrying if individuals were already PM'ed, etc. Plus you can get updates every time the calendar is revised and I feel that will boost activity. I wouldn't even mind getting a general google calendar going for games, regardless of a league.

Azrael
Chaos Spawn

Postby Azrael » October 24th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Having set times/leagues/maps are what seem to get people in. Most of us are too chaotic during the week to get games in (I said most). That being said, I like your idea and think it could easily be run with into something solid

Zsruk

Postby Zsruk » October 25th, 2017, 4:23 am

I'd be willing to participate once I have an army again. But uh... that may be a while.

Dizzlebomb
Sergeant

Postby Dizzlebomb » October 25th, 2017, 9:04 am

Zsruk wrote:I'd be willing to participate once I have an army again. But uh... that may be a while.

What happened to your Tau force man!? Did that even make it to the primer stage?

Dizzlebomb
Sergeant

Postby Dizzlebomb » October 25th, 2017, 9:11 am

Azrael wrote:Having set times/leagues/maps are what seem to get people in. Most of us are too chaotic during the week to get games in (I said most). That being said, I like your idea and think it could easily be run with into something solid

Whether people prefer scheduling or prefer just bopping around and grabbing a game, either method would work for participating in this league I would think. I'm definitely more of a scheduler, and I can usually see my open nights a week out, and only rarely can I find time on weekends to play, long weekend multi-game events are even tougher. Everyone is different, trying to figure out a solution open-ended enough to pretty much work for anyone who enjoys the game (or any other game for that matter at Tyton that could work with this style template).

Zsruk

Postby Zsruk » October 25th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Dizzlebomb wrote:
Zsruk wrote:I'd be willing to participate once I have an army again. But uh... that may be a while.

What happened to your Tau force man!? Did that even make it to the primer stage?

I got a large portion of it primered, sat down to paint it, and realized I hate pretty much everything but Crisis suits. I traded almost all of it off for some gundam models. Once I'm done with my Christmas shopping I'm starting up a chaos army.

Azrael
Chaos Spawn

Postby Azrael » October 25th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Zsruk wrote:
Dizzlebomb wrote:

I got a large portion of it primered, sat down to paint it, and realized I hate pretty much everything but Crisis suits. I traded almost all of it off for some gundam models. Once I'm done with my Christmas shopping I'm starting up a chaos army.

See, I told you Chaos always finds a way...

Zsruk

Postby Zsruk » October 25th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Azrael wrote:See, I told you Chaos always finds a way...

I mean, my chaos is going to hate chaos. But it's also going to hate rowbooty.

Azrael
Chaos Spawn

Postby Azrael » October 27th, 2017, 11:02 am

Zsruk wrote:
Azrael wrote:See, I told you Chaos always finds a way...

I mean, my chaos is going to hate chaos. But it's also going to hate rowbooty.

To be truthful, most Chaos hate Chaos. Simply because they know damn well what the others up to

Dizzlebomb
Sergeant

Postby Dizzlebomb » October 27th, 2017, 11:16 am

Ok fluff boys, lets get back on topic here. Sounds like you two aren't gonna be in for a scheduling based scenario right now for different reasons. That's cool.

Joe, Dom, Justin, Necron Steve, Eric, Len... anyone?

Like Rosario said, I'd be up for getting things rolling with a google calendar and seeing how that went. Let me know if anyone else is interested in that for a starting point here. Maybe Ty can host one and add us to it with editing capabilities maybe.

Azrael
Chaos Spawn

Postby Azrael » October 27th, 2017, 11:47 am

Dizzlebomb wrote:Ok fluff boys, lets get back on topic here. Sounds like you two aren't gonna be in for a scheduling based scenario right now for different reasons. That's cool.

Joe, Dom, Justin, Necron Steve, Eric, Len... anyone?

Like Rosario said, I'd be up for getting things rolling with a google calendar and seeing how that went. Let me know if anyone else is interested in that for a starting point here. Maybe Ty can host one and add us to it with editing capabilities maybe.

I am able, just weekdays are generally a no go for me is all

Dizzlebomb
Sergeant

Postby Dizzlebomb » October 27th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Azrael wrote:I am able, just weekdays are generally a no go for me is all

Other people are sure to be in similar positions as you. I definitely can schedule a weekend game here or there (as late as possible on Sundays is probably easiest), weeknights are just a bit easier for me is all.

Return to “General Talk”